You can consider 6 groups of substances called nutrients: fats, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, vitamins, and water.
The energy nutrients are formed by the first three groups that are the ones that give us the necessary energy for the development of vital functions (70%), leaving the remaining 30% of this energy that we ingest to be able to perform a physical activity, etc. To carry out a healthy, sufficient and balanced diet we have to ensure:
– The carbohydrates should provide 50 to 60% of total energy.
– Fats must provide 30 to 35% of the total energy.
– Proteins must provide 10 to 15% of the total energy.
METABOLISM AND ENERGY:
The energy we need for our body activity and vital functions is known as basal metabolism and depends on the sex, age, and constitution or weight of the individual. For examples: a person of 40 kg can consume 1000-1300 kcal/day while one of the 80 kgs can consume 1500 to 1900 kcal/day. But these figures can be multiplied by three in the case of an elite athlete and if it is a matter of practicing an effort activity.
To get all this energy needed, glucose is the basic fuel of our body and liver can converts this type of sugar. The foods containing carbohydrates are its main source and therefore the first group of substances that provide energy Efficient and fast.
You may also like to read: The Secret Of A Balanced And Nutritious Breakfast
In the case of a shortage of glucose, the body uses other fuels such as fats. These contribute a lot of energy but in a much “slower” way, in the medium-long term. Proteins can also be used as fuel but this is an extreme resource despite its caloric content because its performance is lower because of the amount of waste generated by its processing. On the other hand, its scarcity can cause adverse effects to our body.
SPECIFIC ENERGY FOODS FOR SPORTSMEN:
Nuts: give many calories that provide long lasting energy. Better if they are natural and not toasted. The best nuts are the almonds.
Dates: much caloric power due to its high content of sugars and magnesium.
Other Fruits: bananas and grapes for their high content of sugar, fiber, vitamins and water.
Cereals (best if they are whole): especially rice and oats for their high content of carbohydrates and proteins.
Legumes: although their action is slow, they are rich in carbohydrates, proteins, and fiber.
Chocolate: for its high content of sugar and its stimulating power.
Eat well, eat healthy and if you practice sports, eat properly! “
OTHER GELS AND BARS: GELS AND BARS:
Although the use of energy bars has spread in general, its main mission is to supplement the diet in cases where it is not enough to provide all the energy that the body demands, for example for intense sports activity. They contain mainly carbohydrates which provide strength in the short-medium term is needed in such cases.
You may also like to read: Benefits Of Yogurt, Even For People With Lactose Intolerance
Its composition is complemented by fats that are transformed into energy in a slower way, which benefits in the case of sports practices of long duration. They also carry, but less importantly, proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
The gels are more focused to provide energy in a very fast but less durable way and that is why in their composition we mainly find carbohydrates and mineral salts to compensate for the elements that we lose in the sweat and also help prevent dehydration.
Before taking energetic food Remember that if you do sport your diet should be adjusted to the amount of physical exercise you perform.